Dermaplaning is a skincare topic that seriously splits people’s views. We totally understand why! A first glance, the scary thought of a sharp blade against your skin is little scary. But if it promises to painless, quick and gives your skin a serious glow, it makes it intriguing to try . However like we said, a dermaplaning tool is basically a knife sliding against your skin, so you need to be really careful with how you do it! Or perhaps maybe we are being a little bit too dramatic. To get achieve the most dermaplaning benefits follow the instructions below.
The 7 Steps to Remove Peach Fuzz at Home
Here is the complete low down on how to perform dermaplaning at home effectively and safely.
Step 1. Purchase the dermaplaning tool
You will need the correct facial razor to complete the dermaplane facial. You can find it here.
Step 2. Wash your face
Get your skin ready by cleansing with a gentle cleanser to ensure all makeup and oils are removed from the skin. Rinse and dry your face.
Step 3. Apply a gel, face oil or lotion.
Apply a thin layer of a gel, face oil or lotion on your face. We recommend a sweet almond, apricot or jojoba oil to allow for blade to glide easier on the skin with less irritation.
Step 4. Downward strokes
Wet the dermaplaning blade in warm water and then start with downward strokes – start shaving with the hair growth. Use short strokes at a 45-degree angle. Don’t forget to use a mirror as face shaving blindly is not really a good idea!
Step 4. Rinse and repeat
Rinse the dermablade frequently. Make your way through the different sections of your face. You will see dead skin cells and light hairs on it.
Step 5. Repeat again
Once done, go over your face again, this time against the hair growth which will provide a greater exfoliation.
Step 6. Splash and cool off
Finish off by splashing your face with cool water and pat dry.
Step 7. Apply the serum
Immediately after dermablading is when skin is most receptive to skincare and topicals, it’s more permeable than normal because of the pathways the procedure has created. Apply your favorite serum or moisturizer to the skin to the skin. The exfoliated skin paves an easier path for the nutrients to absorb into the skin for maximum benefits. During this window, usually the first 1-5 minutes after a treatment, is your opportunity to pass nutrients down to your cells in the lower skin layers.
DERMAPLANING BEFORE AND AFTER TIPS
Dermaplaning can keep your skin looking bouncy, smooth and supple; baby’s bottom anyone? As with any cosmetic procedure, diet, lifestyle choice etc, there are some things you can do to get the most of the dermaplane experience.
- When you are dermaplaining, make sure to use your thumb and index finger to pull about an inch or two of you skin taut. This will keep your skin tight, and prevent accidental cuts
- For sterile purposes its recommended to throw away the blade after each use however, you may use it until it gets dull
- After treatment, avoid excessive physical activity that makes you sweat
- Avoid direct contact with sun for 48-72 hours on the applied area.
- Avoid applying cosmetics immediately after use
- Wear sunscreen daily. It should be skincare second nature, but just in case you weren’t aware, it is the best daily anti-ager in your arsenal. Find one with at least a 15+ protection and reapply as necessary throughout the day and/or before prolonged UVA/UVB exposure.
- Also make sure to use a gentle daily cleanser
WHEN TO DERMAPLANE AND HOW OFTENTHE KEY TO SUCCESSFUL DERMABLADING IS PATIENCE
Many people, especially new users, believe that the more often they undergo the procedure, the better. This is the exact opposite of what really happens.
HOW OFTEN FOR BEST RESULTS?
On the average, your skin takes about 1-2 weeks to repair and rebuild. Undergoing the process again before the skin is healed, interrupts the whole healing process and makes dermaplaning process not as effective. So, please try and wait it out and evaluate your skins condition before trying anything new.